A tax return must be filed if you have to pay income taxes. A tax return must also be filed if you have not repaid all amounts withdrawn from your RRSP unde the Home Buyers’ Plan or the
Lifelong Learning Plan.

Other situations may warrant the filing of a tax return. They are:

  • You want to claim a refund;
  • You want to apply for the GST/HST credit;
  • You want to carry forward the unused part of your tuition and education amounts;
  • You received income for which you contribute to an RRSP. To keep your RRSP deduction limit up to date, you must file a return; and
  • You or your spouse wants to begin or continue receiving Canada Child Tax Benefit payments.