Principle Residence Exemption

Did you sell your house in 2016? File a tax return and claim the principal residence exemption for the capital gains. Commencing with sales in the 2016 tax year, you must report basic information, such as the date of acquisition, the proceeds of disposition (the sale), and the address, on your income tax and benefit Read More

By |February 27th, 2017|Tax Tips|

How Small Business Owners Can Become Better Negotiators

Negotiations are an important part of being a small business owner. Even if both sides of the table are in accord, there is often a sticking point, something that can turn future negotiations sour. It’s much worse when you have to fight for what your company deserves. Negotiations aren’t something you should learn on the Read More

By |February 15th, 2017|Small Business Tips|

2017 Automobile Deduction Limits and Expense Benefit Rates for Business

The ceiling on the capital cost of passenger vehicles for capital cost allowance (CCA) purposes remains at $30,000 (plus applicable federal and provincial sales taxes) for purchases after 2002. This ceiling restricts the cost of a vehicle on which CCA may be claimed for business purposes.

The limit on deductible leasing costs remains at $800 per Read More

By |February 3rd, 2017|Small Business Tips, SmallBiz Builder, Tax Tips|

2017 Tax System Indexation

On January 1, 2017, all indexed personal income tax amounts, including tax bracket thresholds and amounts used to calculate non-refundable tax credits, were adjusted by 1.4%. The Canada Child Benefit and the goods and services tax credit will take effect July 1, 2017. For 2017 the federal tax bracket thresholds are:

15% for taxable income Read More

By |February 3rd, 2017|Tax Tips|